Qualifications and Restrictions
Candles for Life Charity Funds Procedures
Candles for Life is a non-profit that offers charitable assistance to cancer patients who cannot afford travel expenses associated with receiving cancer treatments. This charity assistance program is available only for lawful Maverick County residents who are diagnosed with cancer and currently receiving cancer treatment in the United States from qualified physicians. Assistance does not exceed $250 per year.
Download Here > Application for Assistance
(English and Spanish – Revised 3/24/2017)
Policy and Procedure for Assisting
- Applicant completes an application and submits all documentation necessary or which may be requested. At a minimum documents must show:
- Applicant is diagnosed with cancer
- Applicant is being treated for cancer in the U.S.
- Applicant’s treating physician is licensed to practice medicine in the U.S.
- Applicant lawfully resides in Maverick County, Texas, and has lived in Maverick, County, Texas, for at least 90 days before submitting the Application
- Applicant’s cancer is not in remission
- Applicant has not received more than $250 in the aggregate, during the 12 months immediately preceding the application
- Board of directors or its designee determines whether assistance will be made, and if so, determines availability of funds.
- Board of directors or its designee determines amount and frequency of assistance to be given.
- Designee of the board of directors issues payment or payments, as the case may be.
A CFL Program Coordinator (or board member) will perform the following functions:
- Reviews all applications for assistance on a monthly basis.
- Initiates the application process with a patient or individual if necessary.
- Obtains copies of physician orders for cancer.
- Records the patients annual eligibility and all request activity for other resources needed.
- Notifies patient that the charitable check is ready.
- A confidential file is kept for verification and statistical reporting for funding source.
Criteria – Patient Must
- Be diagnosed with cancer.
- Reside in Eagle Pass, Maverick County.
- Request assistance on an annual basis only if cancer reoccurs; can be given the full amount or in increments during a session of treatments.
- Have documentation from a U.S. physician and treated at a cancer center in the U.S. (due to the non-profit status of the U.S. government.)
NOTE: Follow-up exams during remission periods do not qualify for full assistance; the patient will be redirected to another local resource for assistance.